Thread: Problem running Lan Speed in Windows Server 2012 R2

Newb
    Thanks

Problem running Lan Speed in Windows Server 2012 R2

Trying to use the current Lan Speed software to test connectivity to a server running Windows 2012 R2, cat 5E cabled to GB switches. Getting dismal stats: 3.14 Mbps WRITE, 0.30 Mbps READ!);I have tried both running the client on the server to the Lan Server on a WIN 7 Pro box or running the client on the Win 7 Pro box to the Lan Speed Server on the Win 2012 box. READ portion of the testing frequently crashes. On the same LAN win 7 to Win 7 testing runs well and shows believably good speeds.

I don't want to think the bad results are real. Is the software not runable in Win 2012 R2? What might be an issue here? (Applications running on this server are accessible on the LAN; I would just like to confirm that its connectivity is good.)

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Hi Johanus,

Both LAN Speed Test and LST Server support Server 2012 R2. I use both on my Server 2012 R2 machines all the time. Do you have an anti-virus engine running on your server 2012 that might be causing issues with the testing? What happens if you temporarily disable it and try testing? Also, if you manually copy a bigger file from a workstation to this server, is it noticeably slow?

-Pete

Newb
    Thanks
    Hi, Pete! I do have AVG on this box but it is not running during the testing. I will test manual file transfer this weekend. Should I be running "as Administrator"?

johnus

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    I usually run LST Server on my Server 2012 as administrator. On the workstation it should not matter.

-Pete

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    You could also use LAN Speed Test to test to a shared folder on the server 2012 computer without using LST Server and see if you have the same issue.

Sometimes it's hard to find a file of a specific size when you want to test a manual file transfer. You can use LAN Speed Test to build a file of specific size for manually testing. Just set the packet size to the size of the file that you want (ie. 10000000), and set the Number of Packets to 1. Next, go to 'Config' and uncheck 'Delete test file from server when test is finished' (just make sure to set this option back when finished). Then do a test to any folder. The file will be left in your testing folder. Now you can use this to copy to a shared folder on the Server 2012 computer and note the time it takes. In order to manually copy the file back to the workstation, you will need to re-boot the workstation - otherwise it will just read the file back from the cache and be completely skewed.

-Pete

Newb
    Thanks
    Attempting LSTest on 2012 to LSServer on my WIN7 workstation and getting "Error opening port error # 57". Will try your suggestion of targeting a shared folder later this weekend.

Thank you for your help!

Newb
    Thanks
    Ok, got rid of the error # 57 issue in Windows Firewall tweak.

Newb
    Thanks
    Issue resolved. Not a Lan Speed problem. Discovered that the server NIC was seriously misbehaving. Resetting the configuration got back to a better state and Lan Speed now runs fine and reports good throughput. Not surprisingly, the app running on the server is much more responsive!

Again, thanks very much for your help!

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Great news Johanus! Thanks for the update.

-Pete