Thread: Am I doing it wrong? :)

Newb
    Thanks

Question Am I doing it wrong? :)

Hey Guys,

today I bought LST Server because I wanted to test if the newly bought 300mbps WLAN USB Stick really does what it advertises.
    So I set up LST Server on the computer and started LST Client (lite) and transfered 1GB to the same IP (theoretically ~26s at 300 mbps).

It takes ages but my OS Shows that my WLAN Adapter isnt really under pressure at all.
    (the screenshot illustrates that better)

<Screenshot>
    (because Screenshot methods on this forum seem broken I uploaded it to my webspace)
    http://eckes-ecke.de/publicfiles/screenie2.JPG

Am I doing it wrong?

Thanks for your help in advance.
    With best Regards,
    Ecke

EDIT:
    I cant seem to get a screenshot to work here...
    The attachments really seem broken
    Everytime I upload my 250kb Screenshot it ends up being displayed as 157 bytes and isnt viewable
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ecke; 03-07-2015 at 10:38 AM.

Newb
    Thanks
    Are you using LST Server on a different computer then where your running LST Client?

Ideally you should test the connection form PC1(LST Client - Computer with WLAN stick) to PC2(LST Server - You would probably get the truest results if this was was not wireless) If LST Server and LST client are on the same PC you wouldnt be using the WLAN at all since it never has to leave your PC to get to LST Server (Reason why your seeing no activity).

Newb
    Thanks
    In the Screenshot I used it on the same computer and kind of hoped it would at least send & receive it (and walk through all software layers of the stick) if I send it to the IP and not its loopback interface (127.0.0.1). But maybe the load doesnt even reach the stick if the OS notices it has to route to itself ^^

I did some tests afterwards exactly as you described it and got BAD results.
    Adhoc WLAN from Stick to Laptop was BAD ^^
    PC1 (Stick, LST Client) to Fritzbox to (via cable) PC2 (LST Server) was bad too.

The stick reached at best 30 Mbit/s and was advertised as 300 Mbit/s...
    Isnt that a scam in legal terms? -.-

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Hi,

Szrental is right on the money. When you test from client to server on the same machine, the OS won't send it out the NIC.

As far as the USB WLAN Stick, there are a lot of variables that can slow things down. First of all, most USB WLAN Sticks don't have much for an antenna, so the farther you are from the router, the worse your speeds will be. What is your rate when close to the router? Another big factor in wireless performance is the quality and compatibility (with your wireless NIC) of your router itself. Also, some wireless manufacturers like to advertise certain speeds, and then the fine print will read 'When used with their router' or something like that.

-Pete

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Hi,

Szrental is right on the money. When you test from client to server on the same machine, the OS won't send it out the NIC.

As far as the USB WLAN Stick, there are a lot of variables that can slow things down. First of all, most USB WLAN Sticks don't have much for an antenna, so the farther you are from the router, the worse your speeds will be. What is your rate when close to the router? Another big factor in wireless performance is the quality and compatibility (with your wireless NIC) of your router itself. Also, some wireless manufacturers like to advertise certain speeds, and then the fine print will read 'When used with their router' or something like that.

-Pete