Thread: Help with Samba issue

Newb
    Thanks

Unhappy Help with Samba issue

Hi - I love your LAN Speed test utility. I used it on my local home network and I am puzzled by something and hoping you can help me with it.

My laptop is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. There is a WD My Book Live 2TB NAS device connected to a Linksys E2500 wifi router. The NAS has a public share which is mapped as X: on the laptop. When I do a 700MB speed test from the laptop to X:, it completes successfully, giving me a 4MB/sec throughput. So far so good.

But when I go to a command prompt and do a copy x:\700mb.dat c:\ it takes a couple of minutes and I get a "The specified network name could not be found" error.

I tried doing the same thing using the Windows Explorer UI but that gives me the creeping green progress bar and it eventually errors out so I tried using the command prompt to isolate the problem more.

So I am confused. Your utility uses the smbd server on the NAS device to do the file read/write and it works fine so why does the same operation fail when using Windows utilities.

I ssh'ed into the NAS device and tailed the smbd.log and see that when the Windows file copy fails with that "specified network name not found" error, there is a "connection reset by peer" error in the log. I guess this means the client side (Windows cmd.exe) is sending a TCP RST packet to terminate the connection. Why?! And why doesn't it do this when LST transfers the 700MB test file?

What is going on here? What magic does your utility do that Windows 7 does not do? How can I tune Windows so that the NAS device gives me a similar throughput as your utility?!

FYI the same NAS device, when accessed from a wired client, performs flawlessly. So I am not sure what component/pair is the issue here.

Thanks for any help

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Hi Vanj,

Did you ever figure this out? I'm wondering if it's because LAN Speed Test is configured for sending smaller packets? Are you testing the 700 MB file with 1MB packets? What happens if you test with 10MB packets? It really shouldn't make a difference, but would be interesting to test.

-Pete

Newb
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Totushek View Post
    Hi Vanj,

Did you ever figure this out? I'm wondering if it's because LAN Speed Test is configured for sending smaller packets? Are you testing the 700 MB file with 1MB packets? What happens if you test with 10MB packets? It really shouldn't make a difference, but would be interesting to test.

-Pete
    Yes. See my last post at http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-L...fi/td-p/601635

Strange but true. I am happy now.