Thread: Error #57

Newb
    Thanks

Error #57

Hi,

Just got LanSpeedTest including LST-Server. I've trying to run the test between my PC (Windows 7 Pro) and a Windows 2008 Std. Server. Unfortunately, I am not having much luck getting past error #57.

I've verified that the firewalls are disabled on both systems. I've disabled our AV which has a firewall component. I've verified that the server is listening on port 4457. I've also switched over to a Windows XP Pro and a Windows 2003 server and still no luck.

What am I missing?

Newb
    Thanks
    Did you ever manage to sort this out? I am experiencing exactly the same issues. I have opened the ports on both my server and my local machine but the lan speed tester doesn't appear to see the lan speed server at all. Using Windows 2008 as the server and Win 7 on local pc.

Newb
    Thanks
    Has anyone solved this? I am having the problem as well. Even tried port 80 just to see.

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Hi guys,

I need to know a bit more info. Are you running on a LAN or WAN or VPN? If it's LAN, just put your IP address or name of the computer running LST Server (use the info that is listed on the LST Server) in the 'Folder or Server IP' box, and if LST Server is running on a different port than the default (4456), you need to add :#port (ie. :1234 for LST Server running on port 1234) at the end of it (ie. 192.168.0.1:1234). That should be it. If it's over a WAN (internet), then you need to make sure that your router has LST Server's port open and forwarded to the correct computer running LST Server. Feel free to email me at support@totusoft.com with some screen shots if you'd like.

-Pete

Newb
    Thanks
    I did manage to resolve the issue, about ten minutes after posting my message. Although I run Symantec Endpoint Protection on my server which has its own firewall I discovered that the Windows firewall was still running too. As soon as I opened the port in the Windows firewall my other machines could see the server. Problem solved!

Hope this helps out.

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info steelrat!

-Pete

Newb
    Thanks
    I have had a few Error #57s... and have managed to cure that ill; but I am still having speed issues when not targeting LST Server.
    I have a particularly small network, being three machines wire connected through a hub (no wireless (yet)). I paid for LST and LST Server both, and they seem to be working just fine. First, I was (still am) getting some very slow speeds when running LST targeting a shared file folder. After confirming (using Task Manager) that LST was still reading/writing (Windows had said (incorrectly) that it had stopped responding), I decided to try targetting LST Server. Well it ran on each of the machines, but was not 'visible' on one of them. And the performance was spotty on the other two. (I am always testing from each of the three machines to the other two; this is to help me isolate 'performance bottlenecks'.) I tried the route of disabling virus protection, and poking a 4456 hole through the Windows firewalls, but made only marginal gains, sometimes it worked fine, other times it would refuse to see the server.
    Remembering that sometimes Windows can can be touchy about the 'C drive' (taking special unmentionable measures to protect it (at least they don't mention them to us, the great unwashed)), I ported my host folder (containing LST, LST Server; and being shared with the whole world) to an alternate drive; with which, due to my past experience with Windows, I have made sure each of my machines is equipped.
    All of a sudden, the 'invisible' Server appeared. Not only that, the test results became consistent. Of course there is some variation (due to normal operation in a Windows environment), but on the monster two machines, my 1 Gb interfaces let things through regularly at rates well over 800 Mb. And on Junior, they were respectable (500 Mb or so) ( he has less power and memory ).
    And, more interesting, the state of my antivirus protection is immaterial. I have left the 4456 port punch-through on all three firewalls, however.
    My conclusion is this. If you have the option of doing so, move the host directory(ies) containing LST and LST Server off of the 'C drive' onto another drive. (It blew my mind when the previously unseeable Server suddenly 'was there', that is, LST could 'see' and connect to it.) It has eliminated Error 57s in our little home network. If it is possible for you to move all of your LST stuff (directories, images, etc.) to a seperate drive (D drive, for example) a drive that Windows does not think is the home of the OS, give it a try. Why this worked is another of those mysteries of Windows. But I assure you, it Really Did. Good luck!
    Oh, and my compliments to Peter and crew for the quality of their software.

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Thanks for the great info curly! You are right, security settings makes reading and writing to the root directory of the C: drive, Program Files, etc. very touchy after Windows XP.

Also, thank you for your kind comments

-Pete