Thread: Mac Client (Lite) is ready for testing!

Home Network Guru
    Thanks

Mac Client (Lite) is ready for testing!

Here it is!! LAN Speed Test (Lite) Beta(Build 1) for the Mac. This should work on all versions of OS X. I've got the capability to compile to 32 bit or 64 bit. I'm compiling in 32 bit for now since that will be compatible with more test users. There are no help or print options yet, but works exactly like the Window's version with one addition... There is the ability to choose your NIC now! That means that if you have got a wireless & wired link, or multiple NICs, you can choose which one you'd like to test with from within the program. The tests that I've run have worked great with shared directories and with LST version 1.3. The Mac version will not clear out the cache if testing local drives or USB Drives - so read times will be skewed big time. That means that for now, the Mac version will not support testing local or USB Drives.

Here is the link...Let me know what you think.

http://www.totusoft.com/files/LAN_SpeedTest.dmg

Enjoy,
    -Pete

Newb
    Thanks
    Haven't had a lot of opportunities to use the new beta, but so far it is working very well. I am testing against a LST server and the beta is working flawlessly. Everyone that has tried it loves it. Excellent effort, keep up the good work.

BTW, I have had the LTS server running 24/7 for months with no issues. The only time it has to be restarted is when I apply updates to the server. We have a lot of expensive software that can't even come close to making that claim.

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    I finally got around to testing this beta (with LST Server) about a week or so ago. LST seems to be working, but I'd like the ability to average multiple streams, etc. I know this functionality will be coming, but I thought I'd still mention it.

Screen Shot 2013-05-11 at 12.04.34 AM.pngScreen Shot 2013-05-11 at 12.08.03 AM.png

The pictures depict wireless versus wired throughput.
    Last edited by counsil; 05-24-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    I just tested again without using LST Server.

Screen Shot 2013-05-24 at 10.09.07 PM.png

The above throughput just doesn't look very good. I walked closer to an access point, verified I was on the 5 GHz band at a transmit rate of 300, and tested again:

Screen Shot 2013-05-24 at 10.15.59 PM.png
    Last edited by counsil; 05-24-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Well, I wanted to make sure and re-test using LST Server in the same spots. Here is the result from same spot as above:

Screen Shot 2013-05-24 at 10.22.31 PM.png

And closer to an access point at 300 transmit rate:

Screen Shot 2013-05-24 at 10.21.18 PM.png

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Pete,

This is all the testing I am planning on performing with this version. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

BTW, when copying a large file (1+ GB) from the same network share as I tested against above, the highest throughput I just achieved when connected up wirelessly was 12.2 MB/s. Wired I achieved 35.9 MB/s. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by counsil; 05-24-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Thanks guys for the tests and comments! (Laneadmin, I take pride in reliable, efficient code - you made my day )

Don't worry Counsil, the extra features are coming to the Mac client as well. It's a pretty steep learning curve, and I want to make sure that the testing works flawlessly first, then I'll be moving on to the extra stuff

Counsil, those tests (w/o LST Server) seem reasonable to me. What kind of results do you get when you test with the Window's version of LAN Speed Test w/o LST Server?

-Pete

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Good news! LAN Speed Test v1.3 (Lite) has been officially released for the Mac. I'll get the website updated soon. Just download it from here...

http://www.totusoft.com/files/LAN_SpeedTest.dmg

-Pete

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Sorry for the late response Pete. I didn't notice your question above until now. I'll perform that test for you ASAP.

Here are a couple of tests with the latest LST v1.3:

Over 5GHz wireless to LST Server
    Screen Shot 2013-07-20 at 2.59.44 AM.png

Over 5GHz wireless to network share folder
    Screen Shot 2013-07-20 at 3.02.36 AM.jpg
    Last edited by counsil; 07-20-2013 at 02:11 AM.

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Hardwired to LST Server
    Screen Shot 2013-07-20 at 3.08.43 AM.jpg

Hardwired to network share folder
    Screen Shot 2013-07-20 at 3.10.27 AM.jpg

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Window's version of LAN Speed Test w/o LST Server

Hardwired:
    Hardwired.jpg

5GHz wireless:
    Wireless.jpg

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    BTW, both my Windows and Mac laptops were connected via 5GHz @ 300 Mbps at the time of the tests.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything further.