Thread: LST V2 & V3 Different Results

Newb
    Thanks

LST V2 & V3 Different Results

Hi, slightly confused by the results I'm getting from V3. I've both installed and have run them with the client firewall turned off using the same share on the server to read/write to.
    Here's v2 and v3 :
    LST v2.jpgLST v3.jpg

Why are they so different?

Thanks, Simon

Newb
    Thanks
    I thought this was the support forum? Does the author have no explanation to help explain why both applications give such different results?

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Simon,

Is this consistent? The only thing that I can think of is that v3 has to option to bypass the drive's write caching (make sure that it is unchecked in the options screen). Also, try testing with the Anti-Virus temporarily disabled - just to see if there is something that your AV does not like about v3 testing. What do your Max results look like?

-Pete

Newb
    Thanks
    Hi, thanks for responding.

It is consistent, I ran both again with AV turned off and checked the write caching option was not selected. The V2 results are consistent with another PC, I'll try V3 on that later this weekend.

Here's a V2 screenshot and two for V3 showing average and max speeds.....
    v2.jpgv3-1.jpgv3-2.jpg

V3 max speeds to seem to be similar to v2 average.

I also noted that v2 seems to do one write then one read test until all the tests are complete, v3 seems to do all the writes first then the reads. I cant think why that should make a difference.

Separate issue - typically one or both products dont seem to remember their registration details, is that a result of having both installed?

Thanks, Simon
    Last edited by ferraris; 04-20-2013 at 04:24 AM.

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Hi Simon,

I can't re-product this issue here, so I need you to check a few things for me so that I have a place to start. What's some of the computer's specs (the computer doing the testing)? Processor, memory, and Operating System? Go to your Windows Task Manager, click on the 'Performance' Tab. What's your total memory usage? What's your CPU Usage while running v2? What's your CPU Usage while running v3? As far as v2 write/read, write/read, etc. vs v3 write/write/.... read/read/..., the testing is the same, just different order - so that should not make a difference - no matter type of computer.

On the separate issue...If you install v2 & v3 in the same directory, you will have registration issues as both versions reads the registration info from the .ini file stored in the directory. If you have Vista or above, you will need to install v2 in a location that you have write access to the installation folder (ie. My Documents). That way v2 would read the .ini file from the installation folder and v3 would read the .ini file from the user data directory. LAN Speed Test always checks if it has write access to the folder it is executing from. If so, it puts the .ini file there. That way LAN Speed Test can be run from a portable device (USB memory stick, server drive, etc.).

-Pete

Newb
    Thanks
    Hi Pete,

PC is an AMD FX8350, 8GB memory running Win 8 64bit.

Background CPU is varies between 2-10%, memory is 25%.

V2 CPU was around 8% after the initial spike, memory didn't change, the Ethernet port showed around a sent value around 80-113 Kbps. LST gave results of 300/400 Mbps.
    taskmgr v2.jpg
    V3 CPU was aound 12-20% (it varied during the test), memory didn't change, the Ethernet port showed around a sent value around 10 kbps. LST gave results of 123/300 Mbps.
    taskmgr v3.jpg

You can see from the v2 chart that it just floods the pipe in both directions, V3 shows little peaks thorughout whilst it sends data.
    Thanks, Simon

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info Simon. I still can't duplicate this on test computers. I'm currently switching compilers so that I can also build Mac and Linux versions of LAN Speed Test, etc. The Mac version of LST (Lite) is currently in Beta. I will compile it to Windows in a few days and have you test your computer with what's going to be the newest engine if you're interested.

Thanks,
    -Pete