Thread: LST Results Within LAN Much Slower than LAN-WAN using Speedtest.net

Newb
    Thanks

LST Results Within LAN Much Slower than LAN-WAN using Speedtest.net

Hello,

I recently purchased the LST and LST server combo. I installed the server on my home web/file server (specs below), and installed the client on my wirelessly-connected desktop (specs below).

My reason for purchase is testing my new ASUS RT-AC66U 802.11ac router.

From my wireless desktop, I am able to get 51-53Mpbs consistently from my Comcast/Xfinity WAN connection using Speedtest.net The connection chain is like this:

[DESKTOP]-(USB 2.0 Port)-[Wifi-N Adapter] ~ ~ ~ [WIFI ROUTER]-(Gigabit LAN Port)-[MODEM]---(to WAN)

However, from the same desktop setup, I am only able to get 5.6-8.0Mbps when running LST on the desktop connected to LST server on my server machine:

[DESKTOP]-(USB 2.0 Port)-[Wifi-N Adapter] ~ ~ ~ [WIFI ROUTER]-(Gigabit LAN Port)-[Intel Gigabit NIC]-(PCI-E x1)-[SERVER]

Furthermore, I am able to get around 4MBps transfers from a 5900RPM SATA I drive in the server to a 7200RPM SATA III drive in my desktop, according to the Windows Explorer file copy dialog.

I set the test to run anywhere from 10 to 200 packets of 1MB size each, and get similar results. Obviously the test is showing me inaccurately low numbers, considering I'm getting faster results doing HDD transfers.

Any ideas why LST is giving such low speed results?

Server specs:
    Pentium 4 3.6GHz
    Intel Gigabit CT PCI-E card (EXPI9301CTBLK)
    Windows Server 2008 Enterprise

Desktop (Client) Specs:
    AMD Phenom II 1090T 6-Core 3.2GHz
    Rosewill RNX-N600UBE USB Dual-Antenna Wifi-N Adapter (Ralink RT3572 Chipset)
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

Router specs:
    ASUS RT-AC66U with 3.0.0.4.260 firmware

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Hi,

What Operating System is your server running on? There are a few things that I would like you to try. First, did you try temporarily disabling your Anti Virus to see if that makes a difference? Then, what kind of speed are you getting if you test with LAN Speed Test directly to a server's shared folder instead of to LST Server (ie. \\Server\SharedData)? Can you take some screenshots or turn on the Debug Window (from 'Config') and when finished click on 'Copy to Clipboard' and paste it in an email to me at support@totusoft.com?

-Pete