Thread: Error test file creation

Newb
    Thanks

Post Error test file creation

Hi all,

I'm starting to test my LAN with the LITE Version ( 1.2 ). Within the 100Mbit/s LAN segment with two XP-Node there is no problem with the software to run.
    But in a GBit/s segment of the Lan on a Win7-node I always get an error on test file creation.
    Sometimes it's error no 70 (access denied ), sometimes it's 76 (path not found ).
    I have tried several different things: first as normal user, then with admin rights, with firewall (COMODO V5.12) switched off, with SW on seperat drive D:\LanSpeedTest or in C:\Programme (x86)\LanSpeed ...
    The problem is always as described above.

Are there any general problems with Win7 or what I'm doing wrong ???

It would be fine if someone can put me on the right track

Thanks in advance

loh5bk

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Hi,

Win7 normally won't let you test to C:\Programme (x86)\LanSpeed ... (even with admin rights). It also won't normally let you test to the root directory of C:. Is the D: drive an external USB Drive? I would think that would be fine as long as you have the correct rights to it. What happens if you create a test folder inside C: or D: and then try testing there (ie. C:\SpeedTests or D:\SpeedTests)?

-Pete

Newb
    Thanks
    Hi Pete,

thanks for your quick reply.
    The problem I had was due to an incorrect interpretation of the error message ( as well as the program behaviour ). I had placed the client into a folder on D:\LanSpeed ( which is the second internal drive ( partition ) on my node ) assuming that the test file will be created in the same folder where the client is running.
    So the shown error message leads me to the (wrong ) assumption, thatt access to the client folder is denied.
    It was simply a mistyping of the share used to run the speed test against. THis I have to enter manually ( different to the behaviour the XP-node )
    For some reason ?? ( the network discovery is turned on ) the Win7-system in the explorer ( as well as LanSpeed client ) is unable to discover all the other network nodes ( router, NAS, PC .. ).

Is the an Thread that can help interpreting the test results. I found out suprisingly big differences between read and write speed ( more than 50% ) and in total all results are rather low ( lower than 25% of the nominal rate )

So thanks in advance

loh5bk

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Hi,

I need some more information to help you. Can you take some screenshots and email them to me at support@totusoft.com?

-Pete