Thread: Wifi boost through wired network.

Newb
    Thanks

Wifi boost through wired network.

Hi.

I have installed a wired home network in my house and I need 'something' that I can plug into the network points that will boost my wifi. At the moment I have a modem and router on the ground floor which I can run my wifi off, but when I get to the second floor the wifi is out of range. I want to have a 2nd 'router' on the 2nd floor that plugs into the network so then I can pick up wifi, does anyone know what product I need? I asked in PC world but they didn't have a clue.

Newb
    Thanks
    The problem that I see is that you are trying to extend something you don't plan on touching. The wired network is not aware of you wireless one. The wireless network just feeds the wired network. Are you against the idea of just setting up a 2nd wireless network upstairs? You can set it with the same security and setting minus the name and just chose which ever network has more signal strength in your house. ...

Thanks
    You can just add another router in AP mode to your upstairs to extend your wireless. I would probably use the same SSID on a different channel (1, 6, or 11 whichever your main wireless is not on). You need to get the upstairs AP physcially plugged in to the network to be any good really. To do that CAT6 is always best, but you can also do a powerline option like the article below.

http://www.homenetworkenabled.com/co...ine-networking
    Check out the Home Network Articles and tell me what you would like to see!

Newb
    Thanks
    This is exactly what i am wondering about. Thank you for the post.