Thread: Dumb Network Question

Moving Up...
    Thanks

Dumb Network Question

This is a basic drawing of my network. Switches are in different rooms.

The Gig switches are of the same brand, and because of that, I have it in my head that the main wireless router is the weak link in my system, even though it is a gigabit switch itself. IP addressing is assigned by the wireless switch as far as I know, the other switches are not smart switches, or managed. Those gig switches (A & B) are hooked back to back, would data flowing between devices hooked to switches A & B still flow through the wireless router since it is assigning the IP addresses?
    Last edited by Coastie; 09-09-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Thanks
    Hi Coastie, what sort of traffic are you talking about? Have you run any speed tests to see what sort of baseline you have? LAN Speed Test has a vendor forum on this site and that is a great source to find out what you are seeing performance wise. What type of router do you have?
    Check out the Home Network Articles and tell me what you would like to see!

Moving Up...
    Thanks
    I see 40-50 MBps using Lan Speed Test.
    My router is a D-Link DIR-825

I'm curious since the gigabit switches (netgear GS108) are daisy chained, but the IPs are provided my the DIR-825, will devices attached to, and communicating from a different GS108 to GS108 flow through the DIR-825 for IP addressing?

Thanks
    Yes, they will go back to the router for IP addressing and for WAN traffic. Daisy chaining switches shouldn't decrease your throughput at all. It's not best practice, but it's doable. Those numbers are somewhat low, 400Mbps on the high end, but I also saw you are doing it on an old laptop. With the tests I've done around the house older systems get about that. Antivirus also seems to affect weaker processors and doesn't affect stronger ones at all.

I don't know if you saw my article on gigabit baseline references, but here it is:

http://www.homenetworkenabled.com/co...-really-expect
    Check out the Home Network Articles and tell me what you would like to see!