Thread: Odd results, please explain

Moving Up...
    Thanks

Odd results, please explain

I am testing FROM my old laptop through a Gigabit ExpressCard Adapter, not the ideal solution, I know.
    I am testing TO another computer on my network, that is a high power system. Quad IvyBridge, 8Gb Ram, etc.
    Both computers win Win 7 (FROM x86, TO x64)
    No other traffic is on the network.

Using LanSpeedTest 2.0.8 and LST Server 1.1.0

Using LST on the old laptop, I seem to get better results from the other computer when the destination is using a HDD or SSD, and no difference between the two.

Code:
    (MBps)
    Write   Read
    43.7    32.7
    45.6    40.0
    45.3    40.8
    When I fire up LST Server on the destination, the results are sporadic and much lower read speeds.

Code:
    (MBps)
    Write   Read
    58.9    33.0
    35.7    26.9
    46.6    34.8
    31.6    26.7
    Why would the LST Server READ/WRITE to RAM result be sporadic and much lower rather than much higher? The destination system is idle and high power.

Why would the write speed be higher in all tests than the read speed? I'd have thought it would be the other way around.
    Last edited by Coastie; 09-08-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Moving Up...
    Thanks
    I think the FAQ answered my faster write speed question for the HDD/SSD, but not to the LST Server RAM test.

Why are my write speeds faster than my read speeds?
    The write speed can be faster because your drives are caching the writes. That means that we are writing to the memory on the drive, and then the drive takes it from the memory and places in on the hard drive. The drive tells LAN Speed Test that the file is done transferring after the test packet is written to the cache memory - not the hard drive. Since the cache memory is lots faster than the hard drive the results for writing are faster than the reading. When reading the data back from the hard drive, the data has to actually come from the hard drive. In other words, what the results are really displaying here is the real read speed from the drive, but the transfer speed from the host computer to the hard drive cache memory on the write. To change your write cache settings, go to your device manager, find your drive, right click and choose properties, and go to the 'Policies' tab.

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Coastie,

Can you give me more details or a couple of screen shots from LST as you are testing to LST Server. Just want to make sure that you are testing correctly to start with.

-Pete

Moving Up...
    Thanks
    Sure.
    Drives on the file server were spun up prior to test, and the HDD tests were run prior to and immediately before the LST_Server tests.

LST to HDD, pretty consistent

LST to LST Server, very erratic

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Hi Coastie,

Did you disable your Anti-Virus on both machines? Also, please increase your packet size to around 10 MB and you should get more consistancy. Your packet size is pretty small for that fast of a network to perform consistently.

-Pete

Moving Up...
    Thanks
    I disabled the Anti-Virus on both machines and increased the packet size to 10MB.

The tests to the HDD went up a good bit, ~ 65:45
    Tests to LST Server were more consistent, but consistently poor, and slower than to the HDD. ~ 45:45 and during the test I could watch the write speed bounce between 11 and 70 MBps.

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Hi Coastie,

Hmmm, seems similar to this thread (http://www.homenetworkenabled.com/fo...rking-with-RAM). There seems to be something going on in your TCP/IP side of your network, but are still trying to figure it out. What happens if you reverse the tests? Put LST Server on your laptop and test to it. Do your results change?

-Pete

Moving Up...
    Thanks
    Seems more consistent the other way through LST_Server.
    All results are slower though: Note, I need to have an RDP window open this way since the file server is headless.
    w/LST Server
    Read 38MBps
    Write 68MBps

To a public folder without LST_Server
    Read 37MBps
    Write 45MBps
    Last edited by Coastie; 09-11-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Moving Up...
    Thanks
    tried it with LST_Server 1.2 today and the results were more uniform without the peaks.
    Still slower to LST server though.

I was also able to test from a different computer this time, and the results are higher.
    Mid 60MBps to LST Server
    Mid 70MBps to HDD