Thread: LST server not working with RAM

Newb
    Thanks

LST server not working with RAM

Hi,
    I just bought the LST server to test the speed of a gigabit network, and it is not working correctly.

On both the PC I'm using is running windows seven, I know the characteristics of both PC but as I will tell you in a few moments is not that the problem.

I start the LST server on the more powerful PC, and the LST v1 (the free one) on the other PC. I deactivate avast antivirus on both.
    The two PC are directly connected with a cat5e cable, without any switch or router. The connection status says "connection speed 1Gbps" (I know, that's a cat5e cable, that's not the point).

With a 500MB file the client returns the following results:
    W: 360Mbps R:368Mbps

If I create a RAMdisk on both the PC and transfer a similar dimension file, I obtain more or less 500Mbps.

So I switched off the LST server, and I tried to write to the shared RAMDisk on the other PC with Lan speed test v1 (the free one).
    With a 500MB file, the client return the following results:
    W: 455Mbps R:454Mbps
    Using the Lan speed test v1 in this way, after the file has been written the program freeze for a few moments and than start the reading phase.

Can you please solve my problem?
    It's pretty annoing that I get better results using 2 free programs (lan speed test v1 and DataRAM ram disk) instead of using your registered LST server.
    I prefer to get the problem solved instead of getting a refund, because I like your software very much (It's simple and effective) and I'm happy to support you with 5$.

Best regards

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Hi bakla89,

Thanks for the detailed results...but I need more of the setup information...What are you putting into the 'Folder or Server's IP address' box? It should be the IP address listed by the LST Server (something like 192.168.1.2). If you are putting in a folder location (something like H: ) instead of the IP address, then you are not actually using LST Server. If you have it right, then the log window of LST Server will give you the same relults that the client does. Can you give me a couple of screenshots? If you don't want to post them on the forum, you can email me directly at support@totusoft.com.

-Pete

Newb
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Totushek View Post
    Hi bakla89,

Thanks for the detailed results...but I need more of the setup information...What are you putting into the 'Folder or Server's IP address' box? It should be the IP address listed by the LST Server (something like 192.168.1.2). If you are putting in a folder location (something like H: ) instead of the IP address, then you are not actually using LST Server. If you have it right, then the log window of LST Server will give you the same relults that the client does. Can you give me a couple of screenshots? If you don't want to post them on the forum, you can email me directly at support@totusoft.com.

-Pete
    I changed the cable with a cat6E cable.

LSTv1 started from hdd, LST Server started from HDD

Then I copied the executable files on the RamDisk as described here:
    LSTv1 started from hdd, LST Server started from RamDisk

LSTv1 started from RamDisk, LST Server started from hdd

Both LSTv1 and LST Server started from RamDisks

LTSv1 started from hdd and using the RamDisk as the test folder

What else?
    Best regards

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Hi bakla89,

Again, thank you for your testing details. This makes it much easier when troubleshooting.

First, starting LAN Speed Test or LST Server from the Hard Drive or RAM Drive is not going to matter, since the program gets loaded into you RAM either way, and run from there. RAM Drive will just get it in there faster

The two tests that I'm interested in is the results from testing to LST Server vs. testing to your RAM Drive. The results from testing to your RAM Drive (basically a shared folder on your server) seem pretty typical. That seems to rule out cabling issues, etc. and LST Server should at least see that speed since it is on the same computer that has the RAM Drive that you are testing to. I'm guessing it's something software related. Without switches, routers, Anti-Virus, etc., you should be seeing speeds around 800 Mbps using LST Server - so something is definately messing with the tcp/ip side of your network. Basically, this means that with your current network setup, you would have normal file transfer speeds, but slower Server/Client operations.

A few steps in figuring this out come to mind...

1) Anti-Virus. You have disabled on both machines. Should not be the cause.
    2) What happens if you disable IPv6? Disable IPv6 on both machines and try two more tests (one to the RAM Drive and one to LST Server). If you get good results now with LST Server, it leads me to believe that there could be a driver issue.
    3) Speaking of driver issues, do either of your pc's contain the Intel(R) 82567LM-3 NIC? Another customer, with this same issue (the network file transfers were normal and the Server/Client operations were slow) found this link (http://communities.intel.com/thread/9913). He replaced the Window's NIC driver with the latest driver from the manufacturers website and all was well.

Hope this helps.

-Pete

ps - I forgot to mention that on your first post, when the program pauses (not freezing) between write and read (when testing to a shared folder), it is clearing the drive cache.
    Last edited by Pete Totushek; 09-04-2012 at 06:53 AM.

Newb
    Thanks
    First, starting LAN Speed Test or LST Server from the Hard Drive or RAM Drive is not going to matter, since the program gets loaded into you RAM either way, and run from there. RAM Drive will just get it in there faster
    Actually I think it does metter: when the LST Server start from the RamDisk the "read test" result is 400Mbps instead of 370Mbps.
    I know that 30Mbps is not much but I did a lot of test and they have also the same result (+or- 1%).

Regarding your proposals:
    1) antivirus was disabled in these tests
    2) tried with IPv6 disabled but nothing change
    3)I've not the board you say, I've a Broadcomm on one PC and a Marvell Yukon on the other.

I've noticed another strange phenomenon:
    The time measured from LST is wrong. I took a video and the write test took 3.66s and the LSTv1 said 3.32, but more important the read test took 4.34s and the LSTv1 said 2.18s O_O that's half the time it took. Also the speed measured is obviously wrong.
    I measured the timings making a video. I posted it on youtube, take a look:

Any other ideas?
    I'm not very happy of the purchase. Can you fix these problems?
    I saw also a review online which had my same problem I think: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwa...-network-speed
    The journalist says that he measured a write speed of 441 Mbps instead the result of 736 Mbps of IxChariot. Maybe it is my same problem.

What do you think?
    Best regards

Newb
    Thanks
    I installed NetMeter. NetMeter confirms what I told you before:
    netmeter.PNG

As you can see the speed measured by NetMeter is more or less the same in "write mode", but in "read mode" LSTv1 make a really big error measuring a speed that is double the real network speed.

Also, there is a big difference between the speed of LSTv1-LSTserver and a normal file transfer:
    netmeter file.PNG
    I sent 1GB files between the 2 PC using windows explorer (copy-paste) and the result is 600Mbit and 800Mbit.
    There is really a lot of difference between these measurements and the one which did LST.

Can you deactivate my license key and give me a refund please?
    Best regards

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Bakla89,

The times listed in your results are actual times that were spent reading or writing data and are correct. The reason why the read seems like it takes longer, is because LST Server has to rebuid each packet before sending and the timer stops while it is doing this. The new version of LST Server (v1.2) does not have to do this anymore, and therefore, takes away this confusion. V1.2 is finished and just waiting for the acceptance of my Code Signing Certificate.

LAN Speed Test has had almost 1,000,000 downloads and has helped troubleshoot many many networks. Anytime I get emails questioning the results, 100% of the time, it's been an issue with the customer's network. I'm just saying that you will want to figure out what is going on with the TCP/IP side of your network, or you will run into issues later.

Sorry this did not work out for you. Please email me at support@totusoft.com with your registered email address (as I cannot view your email address here) and I'll refund your purchase ASAP.

-Pete
    Last edited by Pete Totushek; 09-07-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Newb
    Thanks
    I can wait for the 1.2v of the LST Server to see if something changes.

The fact that "my network" is just 2 PC connected with a cable, made me think that the problem was yours and not mine.

What about the 30Mbps of difference measured if the LST Server is runned from the RamDisk? Do you know a possible reason for that?
    What about the measurements of NetMeter? How is it possible that NetMeter confuses the time LSTS is using to rebuild each packet as time used to send or receive data? That's not strange? Do you know a possible reason for that?

Waiting for your update before to ask you the refund.

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    bakla89,

Email me at support@totusoft.com or pm me with your email address and I can get you a copy of LST v1.2. It just does not have the code signing certificate as I am still awaiting approval from Comodo. I can't give you an answer on your RamDisk. All programs are loaded into your RAM first before executing. So if you are running the program from the hard drive or RAM Disk, it doesn't matter, the program is still executing from your internal RAM. I'll try downloading NetMeter and do some playing with that

-Pete

Newb
    Thanks
    Refund received.
    Thank you.