Thread: LAN Speed Test v3 features!

Home Network Guru
    Thanks

LAN Speed Test v3 features!

v3.0 beta - (In Process)
    -----
    A - Ability to view peak, avg, & low test results
    A - Ability to test with simultaneous multiple streams (Up to 25 with LST Server and up to 2 when testing to a folder) while being able to view peak, avg, & low results from each stream or an average of the streams
    A - Ability to automatically re-start test (with programmable wait times between tests) for 1-24 hours or until manually stopped
    A - GBit (Gbps & GBps) labels and calculations
    A - Option to disable drive's write caching during tests
    A - Packet counter on the status screen
    A - Drop down edit box at 'Folder or Server IP' to remember last 9 entries
    A - Command line now supports all options when testing!
    A - Cut/Copy/Paste/Select All/Delete/Edit Note hot key support in 'View Log' window
    C - Change right click options in view log ('Select All', 'Clear Selection', 'Copy With Headers', 'Copy Without Headers', and removed 'Copy All')
    C - Log file - all entries are now SQL compatible. This allows for easy import into SQL Server, MySql, etc.
    C - 'Number of Test Packets' max increased to 1,000
    C - Test filename (when testing to folder) now consists of random numbers and test number so that there can be multiple tests done to one folder at the same time
    C - Fixed the timeout issues with slower WAN connections. Timeout occurred if a packet took longer than 5 seconds to send/receive. The new logic allows up to 60 seconds.
    B - Fix debug window displaying write speed twice instead of write speed then read speed
    C - Updated Logging, Printing, Open/Save, Debug window, and Help routines to support all the new features
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Wow, Pete, that's a nice list! How can one test the beta?
    Check out the Home Network Articles and tell me what you would like to see!

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Hi Scott,

I've got a list of beta testers that are using different features pretty heavily. You are on my list I've already had people testing out specific features along the way as I was adding them to LAN Speed Test. I don't expect it to be in Beta for any longer than a week or two. You should be getting a beta version by the end of the week.

-Pete

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Couple more items to note...

C - LAN Speed Test does not keep individual settings based on MAC address anymore. Now there is only one group of common settings. Previously you had to set up each client manually. Now you set it up once, and all tests from all clients will default that way. If you need individual control for certain computers, you can do this from the updated command line interface, and this will override any default settings.

A - 'Check for update' link on help screen
    A - 'Check for update online at startup' option
    A - '# of Data Streams' and 'Test Status' fields added to log
    Last edited by Pete Totushek; 08-24-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Newb
    Thanks
    Hi Pete, I would very much like the ability to test from one server against a bunch of other servers by selecting a csv file with servernames either from gui or command-line. I have approx 15 file-servers i would like to test now and then. Another solution could be that you could add the servername you would like to test in command-line.

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Hi Michael,

No problem - the command line in the soon to be released v3.0 supports adding the servername. Here's the help section on Command Line options...

Command Line Mode

The Command Line options have been completely overhauled with version 3.0. All LAN Speed Test configuration options are now available from the command line.

The format to run LAN Speed Test from the command line is...
    /Mode (Folder or Server IP,Packet Size,# of Test Packets, Simultaneous Data Streams,Continuous Mode, Wait Time,Use Drives Write Cache,Speed Measurement,Log Results)

Examples...
    LAN_SpeedTest /D1 (N:\Test,1000000,10,1,0,0,1,1,1,Test)
    LAN_SpeedTest /D2 (192.168.0.1,1000000,10,1,0,0,0,1,1)

/Mode:
    /? - This help screen
    /D1 - Tells LAN Speed Test to run automatically with the options from the command line. The status bars will be displayed throughout the process, and the results will be displayed when the program is finished.
    /D2 - Same as '/D1', but displays just the status bars. No results will be displayed when the program is finished.
    /D3 - Same as '/D1', but completely silent. There are no status bars and no results displayed.

Folder or Server IP:
    Please see 'Folder or Server IP:' in the help (under instructions) for details on using this option.

Packet Size (1000-9663676416 bytes):
    This changes the size of the test packet that is sent to the server or the test file sent to the server's shared folder. 1000000 is a good size test packet to start with. You can increase or decrease this to fine tune the testing with your network (on slower wireless networks, you may want to make this 500000 or less). This packet/file is then sent and received the number of times from 'Number of Test Packets (1-1000):'.

Number of Test Packets (1-1000):
    Number of packets used to create the file used to send and receive. Results are displayed and logged as average times from each packet tested.

Simultaneous Data Streams (1-25):
    Number of tests to run simultaneously (at the same time)

Continuous Mode (0-25):
    (0)=Don't repeat test, (1-24)=Repeat test for this many hours, (25)=Repeat until manually stopped

Wait Time (1-60):
    Number of seconds to wait between repeated tests (only applies if Continuous Mode is activated)

Use Drive's Write Cache (0=No, 1=Yes):
    If No, LAN Speed Test will not stop the timer until all data is completely written to the hard drive. If Yes, LAN Speed Test will stop timer after all data is written to the drive's cache memory.

Speed Measurement (0-5):
    (0)=Gbps, (1)=Mbps, (2)=Kbps, (3)=GBps, (4)=MBps, (5)=KBps

Log Results (0=No, 1=Yes):
    If yes, then the test results are added to the log file

Log Notes (Optional):
    Any text here will get added to the log notes for this test
    -Pete
    Last edited by Pete Totushek; 09-20-2012 at 05:22 PM.