Thread: what does the results mean. for the lan speed test

Newb
    Thanks

what does the results mean. for the lan speed test

hello all, I am testing the port speed test on a network. the switch is suppose to give 100megs data speed which means maximum amount of data speed to and from a node correct? I know there are a lot of variables that will not allow complete 100 megs and that I should see results between 90 high and 50 low. I am testing out the lan speed test software I installed the client on my machine and the lan speed test server on a network server. I attached the window read out file. So the writing part "time to complete that is how long it takes to write? its writing to the network server correct and its reading from the client? The final results mbps default writing showing 45.384 reading showing 55.67 so thats telling me 45 megs of data to write to network and 55.67 megs of data to read. so the end result the speed is near 100 megs? please explain in simple terms. thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Newb
    Thanks
    ok all not sure whats going on thought someone would help out for this easy question for the experts. I bought the client and the server and think this is a good product but the lack of support is troubling.

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Hi Arcolinio,

Your results seem low. You don't combine the two tests (write & read). They are separate tests, and I normally see around 70 Mbps for each (write & read) on a 100 Mbps wired network. There are a number of possible causes - Anti-Virus software, software firewalls, other programs running in the background taking up a lot of resources, busy network, etc. Try playing with the test packet size (maybe 100 MB - 500 MB with 1 or 2 test packets) and compare your results. If you have anti-virus software running, try temporarily disabling. You'd be surprised how some brands really slow down your overall performance.

Check out the F.A.Q.'s here

What is 'Write Speed'?
    This is the 'Upload' speed writing to your server or shared folder.

What is 'Read Speed'?
    This is the 'Download' speed reading from your server or shared folder.

-Pete
    Last edited by Pete Totushek; 07-25-2012 at 05:48 AM.

Newb
    Thanks
    Thanks Pete, I checked there after clicking around on the website and then came back to my post and saw that someone had replied thanks again :-) so basically write is upload and read is download usually download is faster right? anyway I ran it again now I'm getting 85. write(upload) and 52 read(download) on a 100meg port. That seems in the norm according to the lan speed test doc. It says to a lst server which I am doing 100 mbps between 60-80 mbps
    question when it says 60 to 80 the 60 side is the read side?

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Not necessarily. Read & write should be close to the same. The 60 - 80 Mbps is the lower/higher ends of the spectrum. Since it's taking longer for your read time (time it takes to receive the data from the server), I would try disabling the Anit-Virus on your client (if you haven't done that yet). The AV engine reads network packets as they come in and has to ok them before passing on the data. Some engines take much longer at doing this than others. That would be a place to start. Other things to try is connecting another client and check the speeds with it, or if you have access to another switch to try and see if that's the culprit. Also, could try replacing the patch cable as I've seen this problem go away after replacing the ends of the cat5 cable. Just some ideas.

-Pete
    Last edited by Pete Totushek; 07-25-2012 at 11:36 AM.