Thread: How about a Mac client

Newb
    Thanks

How about a Mac client

I just started using LAN speed test from my Laptop to a VM Server. This is very useful, but it would be nice if there were a Mac client as well (we have a mix of both platforms).

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    I second this. I'd even pay another $5 for it.

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the request. I am currently working on the latest update for both LAN Speed Test & LST Server (which are going to be the king of updates by the way), then once those are out, I will start focusing on clients for other platforms

-Pete

Newb
    Thanks

Sounds Great!!

Looking forward to it. I showed LAN Speed to my manager and the first question out of his mouth was "Is there a Mac version? I don't want to run a VM just for one program." I think LAN Speed will be in every one of our technicians tool boxes once it is ported. This is the solution we have been looking for and is SO affordable. Paid for itself 15 minutes after I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Totushek View Post
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the request. I am currently working on the latest update for both LAN Speed Test & LST Server (which are going to be the king of updates by the way), then once those are out, I will start focusing on clients for other platforms

-Pete

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Thanks laneadmin! I appreciate the comments.

-Pete

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    We are now *officially* in the need for a Mac version (that supports Mountain Lion) of LST. We are running into some network slowdown issues with the new Mac OS.

We are more than willing to pay another $5 ($10 would be reasonable) to make this happen. Please put this on your roadmap.

Keep in mind that we will need for it to be compatible with LST Server... and LST Server needs to be able to support streams coming from Windows clients at the same time as ones coming from Mac OSX.

I hope that you have the expertise/knowledge in-house (if you're not the only person coding/supporting LST) to do all of this. I don't think LST is open-source so it's all on you (or your team).

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Hi Counsil,

My first goal would be to build the client for the Mac. The Server would come later. The server (while running on a pc) already would be able handle streams from both a pc & mac version - so no problems there

-Pete

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Agreed.

Thanks for responding Pete.

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    The client programming for the Mac has officially begun! My roadmap is first LAN Speed Test (Lite) for Mac, then LAN Speed Test, then LST Server (or maybe LST Server then LAN Speed Test). I will have an alpha version out soon for those that would like to do some testing for me. I'll post the download link and details in this thread when it's ready. FYI, I will be able to compile to Linux as well - so Linux versions will not be far behind! After this I am going for the DROID

-Pete

Newb
    Thanks
    Awesome news! My vote is for the Mac LST Server to be last in development, but then I already have Windows LST server running.

BTW, still loving LAN Speed Test. It has become part of my standard testing for freshly enabled ports. There is not a single week that goes by that it isn't used several times. I also find myself using it often to check wireless throughput at various campus locations. Keep up the good work. I brag about LST often.

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Thanks for the kind comments Laneadmin! That has been most of the requests was for Mac clients to connect to Windows LST Server. So for now, that is the order of priorities.

-Pete

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Here it is!! LAN Speed Test (Lite) Beta(Build 1) for the Mac. This should work on all versions of OS X. I've got capability to compile to 32 bit or 64 bit. I'm compiling in 32 bit for now since that will be compatible with more test users. There are no help or print options yet, but works exactly like the Window's version with one addition... There is the ability to choose your NIC now! That means that if you have got a wireless & wired link, or multiple NICs, you can choose which one you'd like to test with from within the program. The tests that I've run have worked great with shared directories and with LST version 1.3. The Mac version will not clear out the cache if testing local drives or USB Drives - so read times will be skewed big time. That means that for now, the Mac version will not support testing local or USB Drives.

Here is the link...Let me know what you think.

http://www.totusoft.com/files/LAN_SpeedTest.dmg

Enjoy,
    -Pete

ps. I am now closing this thread and am starting a new one as an announcement