Thread: Article: Your gigabit network, what kind of speed should you really expect, Part 1 of the Network Performance series

Thanks

Article: Your gigabit network, what kind of speed should you really expect

Check out the Home Network Articles and tell me what you would like to see!

Newb
    Thanks
    Thanks.
    Is there a Part 2 of the Network Performance series?

Thanks
    There is, I am just slow getting to it... Did you find this one useful? What would you like to see in part 2?

Newb
    Thanks
    Yes, it was useful as I started to take my network speed more serious and want to get more out of it with the latest buy.

I could test my new NAS system so it was useful on the SMB client figures. As I only have an aged laptop with 100BaseT I did not bother testing it for speed. Also as I have the free version of Lan Speed Test I cannot do a multiple test scenario, more the ad hoc tests. My setup is:
    - QNAP TS-569 Pro, Intel Atom 2.13GHz Dual-core, 1 GB RAM
    - RAID 6 with 5x3.5'' SATA 6Gb/s, WD WD20EFRX RPM: IntelliPower ;-) (whatever that is).
    - Server: MS XP x64 SP2, CPU X9650 @ 3.0 GHz, 8GB
    - NIC: Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet

- QNAP TS-219+, Marvell 2.0 GHh, 512 MB DRAM
    - RAID 1 with 2x 3.5'' SATA 6Gb/s, WD WD20EFRX RPM: IntelliPower

The server is a bit aged now but reliable. The QNAP is brand new and I use the TS-219+ as a backup storage.

The QNAP TS-569 Pro has about 460 Mbps writing and 380 Mbps reading.
    The QNAP TS 219+ has about 400 Mbps writing and 350 Mbps reading.
    Both on a 1MB file as done in your test.
    What I miss is the details on you harddrives as that must slow down on the SMB clients quite significant. So it would be good to compare like for like. Also the RAID used.

The wireless would be very interesting too. My current laptop has only the g spec but still interesting to see how it compares.

Thanks anyway for the details so far!
    Anmatr.

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback Anmatr! I'll get working on part 2 then, with the holidays here I should actually have some time to do it. In the forums there is also a "Share your results" section you might check out. (Forum -> Network Design and Performance -> Home Network Software -> LAN Speed Test -> Results.

To answer your questions, both NAS' and the Vortexbox are set up with single drives. The Vortexbox has a 7200rpm drive, whereas the Synology NAS' are set up with 5400rpm drives as I figured they would be cooler running and CPU would be the bottleneck.

I highly recommend LAN Speed Test v3 and LST Server. They are $5 each, so not a huge investment for the information they give you.

Newb
    Thanks
    If I wanted to run the results simultaneously say from 5 workstations to my WHS box as the Lan Test Server, will it be able to do it? if not, do you know of any such utility?

thank you.

Thanks
    Drop over to the LAN Speed Test forum on this site and ask Pete, the developer, the question. He is always happy to answer.