Thread: 835 Mbps Writing, 898 Mbps Reading

Thanks

835 Mbps Writing, 898 Mbps Reading

Host: Repurposed TiVo (quadcore i7-2600k 3.4GHz), Realtek PCIe GBE nic, Windows 7 64-bit running LST Server
    Client: HP p6240f desktop (Core2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz), Realtek PCIe GBE nic, Windows 7 64-bit running LAN Speed Test 2.0.8
    (100 packets, 1MB test packet size)

scorpio.JPG

Check out the Home Network Articles and tell me what you would like to see!

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    What the F? How did you get such good results like this? What's the weakest link in my setup? My NICs? I am using Cat5e and D-Link gigabit switches (4 of them).

I took my two computers and connected them up to one of my gigabit switches (the switch wasn't connected to anything else) and I still get ~350 Mbps

Thanks
    I wouldn't worry all that much, that throughput is between two pretty high-end systems. On our more normal machines it is comparable to yours. I'll PM you when I have the article with comparisons up.

Thanks
    Hey counsil, here's the article I promised on gigabit network speed results.

I tested all of our wired devices around the house and came out with some really varied numbers.

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Counsil,

Are you testing with LST Server or a shared folder? Testing to a shared folder, you are somewhat limitted by your shared drive speed and then those results look about right. If not, and you are testing to LST Server, try temporarily disabling your AV and see if that makes a difference.

-Pete

Home Network Guru
    Thanks
    Pete,

Yes, I am using LST Server. I use an IP address (not a share/folder) in LST. I also verified on the computer running LST Server that it is 'picking up' the stream.

My laptop is rather old 4-5 years old. It originally came with Vista and I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate when I got a free CD from attending a Microsoft seminar. The laptop I believe is a 2.1 GHz dual-core. I think that is my bottle neck.

Thanks
    You're using the old laptop as your host right?

Host: Sony Laptop (VGNAR730E) - Windows 7 32-bit Ultimate with stock Marvell Yukon 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller with latest drivers (v11.45.4.3) running LAN Speed Test Server
    Client: HP Desktop (P6720F) - Windows 7 64-bit Home Professional with Generic Marvell Yukon 88E8053 based Ethernet Controller with latest drivers (v11.45.4.3) running LAN Speed Test v2.0

I think that's the issue. When I go against LST Server on my slower machines vs the super nifty quad core, the numbers are quite different and lower. For instance, the machine used for this got 835/898 against the repurposed TiVo. When I ran it against my low power atom server I only got about 411/659. "Strength" of the LST Server makes a significant difference as you would expect.