Thread: 1951 Ranch House Wireless Network Issue

Valued contributor
    Thanks

1951 Ranch House Wireless Network Issue

I'm getting ready to move into Ranch style house build in 1951 on a crawl foundation. It's got telephone jacks in every room but nooo ethernet cabling. The house is about 80' wide so I'm thinking I may have issues with wireless. Is there a router out there that you would recommend that has very fast throughput data? I'm going to wire each main TV but would like a strong signal throughout the house. Would a better idea be a wireless router on one end, then powerline line adapter to the other end with another wireless router?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by biggeeflex View Post
    I'm getting ready to move into Ranch style house build in 1951 on a crawl foundation. It's got telephone jacks in every room but nooo ethernet cabling. The house is about 80' wide so I'm thinking I may have issues with wireless. Is there a router out there that you would recommend that has very fast throughput data? I'm going to wire each main TV but would like a strong signal throughout the house. Would a better idea be a wireless router on one end, then powerline line adapter to the other end with another wireless router?
    Are there lots of walls in that 80' of space? I reviewed the Amped Wireless R10000G on SmallNetBuilder. http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...0000g-reviewed It's throughput was crazy, but when Tim tested distance it was a little lacking... You'll want to use the 2.4GHz band for that distance.

I would centrally locate the access point and test it out first and then see if you need something more. Extending wireless with the same SSID works, but I've also seen issues where I haven't picked up the stronger access point.
    Check out the Home Network Articles and tell me what you would like to see!

Valued contributor
    Thanks
    I finally moved in and this ranch is wiiiide! My bedroom is at one end of the house, living room in the middle, and my office at the other end. I've got my server closet setup in my office with the cable modem and wireless n router. I have ran ran cat5e through the crawl space to feed both TV's in the bedroom and the living room and it works great.

I still have a problem with the wireless signal. As expected the bedroom gets a very weak wireless signal since the wireless router in on the other end of the house. I tried an Linksys RE1000 range extender will not much luck. I still had a poor signal and it was going in and out. I just tried a Netgear XAVB5001 powerline adapter but couldnt get it to work, most likely due to the old wiring in the house.

My next step is to try a wired access point in the bedroom. I'm planning to run cat5 from the router in the office to an access point in the bedroom. My questions are:

What's the best access point I should buy?

Can the access point share the same cat5e cable as the roku box (tv) that's hooked up now?

Is this the best solution, because the crawl space is not a fun place to be!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by biggeeflex View Post
    I finally moved in and this ranch is wiiiide! My bedroom is at one end of the house, living room in the middle, and my office at the other end. I've got my server closet setup in my office with the cable modem and wireless n router. I have ran ran cat5e through the crawl space to feed both TV's in the bedroom and the living room and it works great.

I still have a problem with the wireless signal. As expected the bedroom gets a very weak wireless signal since the wireless router in on the other end of the house. I tried an Linksys RE1000 range extender will not much luck. I still had a poor signal and it was going in and out. I just tried a Netgear XAVB5001 powerline adapter but couldnt get it to work, most likely due to the old wiring in the house.

My next step is to try a wired access point in the bedroom. I'm planning to run cat5 from the router in the office to an access point in the bedroom. My questions are:

What's the best access point I should buy?

Can the access point share the same cat5e cable as the roku box (tv) that's hooked up now?

Is this the best solution, because the crawl space is not a fun place to be!
    Congrats on the new house! Crawl spaces are no fun, but they sure beat the alternative!

I'm surprised powerline didn't work, was it just low signal strength or not even seen?

Any old access point can work, I use one of my old routers as a secondary access point.

You can't share the cat 5e cable from the Roku box unfortunately.
    Check out the Home Network Articles and tell me what you would like to see!