Thread: Intermittent Laptop wireless connection

Valued contributor
    Thanks

Intermittent Laptop wireless connection

This seems like the perfect forum to help solve this ancient problem of mine. When using my laptop via wireless at my house, the internet connection last about 15-30 minutes (sometimes longer) and then cuts out. I'm running Windows Vista and so I'll see the internet connection icon in the system tray change from two monitors with a world to only two monitors. This obviously means I've lost a connection to the internet.

I can do one of two things to fix it...

1) let it sit for 5-10min and it will reconnect

2) manually disconnect from the wireless network and then manually reconnect to my network. Then it will fine immediately.

The funny thing is that it only does this with my Laptop. We've got phones, Sonos, Macbook, desktop, roku, etc all connected to the network.

Is there anyway I can permanently fix this connection issue?

Thanks
    I know you downloaded inSSIDer, it has a historical tab which shows signal strength over time, does it stay consistent? Are you continuously using the laptop when it has this problem or were you sitting for a few min?
    Check out the Home Network Articles and tell me what you would like to see!

Valued contributor
    Thanks
    It stays pretty consistent. I am usually continuously using the laptop when it happens. I've got a hunch that it's an ip address conflict. But it's been happening for over a year now, so it may not be.... I'm about to give up and go buy a ultrabook but I'd would really like to find the source of the problem in case I have the issue again.

Thanks
    Does the Windows Event Viewer say anything about it? Probably in the System Log?

Valued contributor
    Thanks
    I had the connection problem again yesterday with the laptop. I went straight to the Windows Event Viewer but didnt see any issues or messages.... This is still an unresolved mystery. It always corrects itself over a period of 5 minutes or so. Could it be an ip conflict?

Thanks
    I doubt the IP conflict, Windows is usually pretty good about showing those messages and they would definitely be in the Event Viewer. I was asking about Event Viewer to see if maybe the wireless card was disconnecting or something? Does this only happen at your house or at wifi hotspots as well?

Valued contributor
    Thanks
    The event view shows no errors about the wireless card. I'll have to try connecting it to other hotspots and see if it does it there but I think it does.

Valued contributor
    Thanks
    ok it happened again and looking again at the event viewer. Its shows an Event ID of 6100 and source: Diagnostics-Networking. The 6100 alert comes up about 10 times. They are all trying to diagnose the error and the last 5 6100 events offer repair options:

---begin event copy

The Network Diagnostics Framework has completed the diagnosis phase of operation. The following repair option was offered:

Repair option: Try moving the computer to a different location, eliminating any sources of possible interference, and then try connecting to "Belkin_N+_B21128" again
    Possible sources of interference include microwave ovens and cordless phones that are in use, and other wireless networks.

Repair option: A problem with your network router or broadband modem might be preventing an Internet connection

If you are connected to a home network, turn off the modem and unplug the power cord. Wait at least 10 seconds, and then plug the power cord back in and turn on the modem. Make sure the modem is plugged into the cable or phone jack on the wall, and then try to connect to the network.

Repair option: View available wireless networks
    You can then try connecting to "Belkin_N+_B21128" again or try connecting to a different network.
    If you own or set up this network, reset your wireless router or access point and try connecting again.

Repair option: Automatically get new IP settings for the network adapter "Wireless Network Connection"

Repair option: Reset the network adapter "Wireless Network Connection"
    Resetting the adapter can sometimes resolve an intermittent problem.

---end copy

This time it does not reconnect automatically. I have to manually disconnect from my wireless network and then reconnect. Then the internet starts working immediatly.

Not sure what to think about this since the info doesnt offer any solutions that seem to work.
    Last edited by biggeeflex; 02-14-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Thanks
    You might try some other things as well, such as:

1) Updating the wireless drivers

2) Changing to managed by your wireless card's utility vs the Windows utility or vice versa

3) Fiddling with the power management settings of your wireless adapter